Friday, November 16, 2012

The Beginning

What is the beginning of this story? I'm tempted to say it was November 3, the day I brought little Bricklin home.
But what about when I helped deliver the litter she was born in September 8th?
Or the multiple phone calls for updates about her momma Georgia's ultrasound or implant?
Maybe it's back to last November when I randomly contacted a breeder in Virginia and started a wonderful friendship with Laurel, who bred Bricklin's litter.

But what I really think is the definitive beginning of where I am now and my goals for the future was over 2 years ago when my boy Hudson came home, when I fell in love with the breed.

I didn't realize how head over heels I would fall for bulldogs, but I have. I had no idea I would enjoy going to dog shows (though I'm still terrible at it)! I went quickly from "they cost how much?!" to telling strangers in the pet store why I chose to feed the food I did.

But this blog is really for my little girl Bricklin, and her story started on September 8, 2012 when the vet said "Here's the first one." I watched for the very first time in person as the baby bulldog went from newborn in her little sac to squealing away on the table. I didn't get to watch her very long before it was my turn to revive a puppy, but I knew from the moment I saw her that she was the one I wanted.

We noted her "poke spot" on the top of her head and her "little britches" she seemed to be wearing by her red markings. I still wasn't even sure she was a girl yet, but I hoped so.

Her two brothers and two sisters came out mostly white, and I knew I wanted that puppy with all the color. I was THRILLED when we started flipping the puppies over to check their gender and heard "This one's a girl."

Bricklin and her brother were both big when they were born and both needed oxygen, but pinked up right away with a little help. The litter of five was healthy and beautiful and started eating right away. Success!

The eight weeks seemed to go slowly until I could bring my little girl home, but it finally came. It's been nothing short of what I imagined.

You see, I'd been told that female bulldog puppies are different than male bulldog puppies. They are. Hudson was easy. I mean, sure, he had to learn the rules, how to potty outside, and not to nibble on fingers, but...I don't remember it being quite like this. He was an independent little man.

Bricklin is a wild woman. She has her own opinions. She will put her mouth on EVERYTHING she sees. She growls when she doesn't get her way. The leash has gotten the ol' stink eye more times than I can count. She'd much rather be in my lap than sleep anywhere else, which is cute until 3 am when we've been up for a half hour and I just want to go back to bed.

BUT I wouldn't trade my sweet little girl for anything in the world. I know I can get that spirit in the ring. I know she'll wanna show off and stand pretty for the judges. She'll definitely be a very good momma some day. I'm excited to get her to that point.

I am so in love with her. She's turning out to be prettier every day. She does so many adorable puppy things, which you just can't trade for anything. She's good with her big brother - he's so patient and lets her chew on his face. She's a great eater (of course she is, she's a bulldog). And I really do love having her in my lap. I don't care that she'll want to keep doing it when she weighs 50 pounds. I like my cuddle time with my baby girl.

What's in store for this blog? Pictures. Ridiculous stories. Show results and my fumbles in the ring. One day a start to my own breeding with my baby girl. And of course, an insurmountable serving of cute!

Enjoy! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment